Following Allianz’s Q3 2018 results, we maintain our BUY recommendation on the stock and Price Target of €207.
We like Allianz for the following reasons:
- Very well capitalised
- Strong management provides confidence
- Indicative Gross Dividend yield of 4.28%
- Sustainable earnings growth
Allianz reported a good set of results for Q3 2018. They stand out for the following reasons:
- No unusual losses were incurred during the quarter due (eg from hurricanes)
- Allianz’s combined ratio in its property and casualty division, a key measure of profitability, was 93.1%, down from 96.9% a year ago. Readings below 100 indicate profitability
- The combined ratio is calculated by taking the sum of incurred losses and expenses and then dividing them by earned premium.
- Pimco reported strong inflows of €15bln compared to consensus expectations of €10bln
Management also confirmed that Allianz is on track to exceed the mid-point of its target range for operating profit of €10.6-11.6bn. Our model is factoring in operating profits coming in at top end of guidance.
Allianz delivered a good operating performance in the first three quarters of the year, with strong capital generation and solvency. Management has guided cautiously; however we believe that the recent pullback in global equities presents a unique opportunity to purchase a valuable stock at a discounted price.
Main points from the Q3 2018 results
- Q3 18 net profit surged 24 percent from a year earlier
- Management confirmed it was poised to meet its 2018 operating profit target of €11.1bln
- The company has performed strongly across the board so far this year and productivity gains were substantial
- Companies in the insurance sector, including Allianz, are expected to bounce back from losses incurred by hurricanes, fires and earthquakes in North America in 2017 – the industry’s costliest year ever
- Allianz’s combined ratio in its property and casualty division, a key measure of profitability, was 93.1 percent in the third quarter, down from 96.9 percent a year ago. Readings below 100 indicate profitability.
In 2018 Allianz is targeting operating profits of €11.1billion. Our estimates target the top range of this figure. Allianz has consistently beaten its guidance since 2012.
We value Allianz at 12x earnings, which is reasonable given the constancy of earnings growth. Based on our in-house earnings discount model we set a one year price target of €207 per share.
The Calamatta Cuschieri Traders Blog is available daily on CC WebTrader. Other market coverage including coverage of the International Bond Markets is also available.
The information provided on this website is being provided solely for educational and informational purposes and should not be construed as investment advice, advice concerning particular investments or investment decisions, or tax or legal advice. Similarly any views or opinions expressed on this website are not intended and should not be construed as being investment, tax or legal advice or recommendations. Investment advice should always be based on the particular circumstances of the person to whom it is directed, which circumstances have not been taken into consideration by the persons expressing the views or opinions appearing on this website. Calamatta Cuschieri & Co. Ltd. (CC) has not verified and consequently neither warrants the accuracy nor the veracity of any information, views or opinions appearing on this website. You should always take professional investment advice in connection with, or independently research and verify, any information that you find or views or opinions which you read on our website and wish to rely upon, whether for the purpose of making an investment decision or otherwise. CC does not accept liability for losses suffered by persons as a result of information, views or opinions appearing on this website.
This website is owned and operated by Calamatta Cuschieri & Co. Ltd (Co. Reg. No. C13729) of 5th Floor, Valletta Buildings, South Street, Valletta VLT 1103, Malta. CC is licensed to conduct Investment Services in Malta by the Malta Financial Services Authority.